Friday, July 18, 2008

A Day At The Fair - Edmonton Edition

Today, I took Hannah to the Edmonton Fair "Capital Ex". I wanted to surprise her. Recenly, Hannah has developed a love for Toopy & Binoo, so much that she asks for them daily...several times a day. Hannah had no idea what we were doing until we got on the LRT and overheard another mom telling her daughter that "we are going to go see Toopy and Binoo". Hannah perked up from her motion-induced "I'm about to fall asleep" comatose state. She looked up at me with her big brown inquisitive eyes and said "Toopit-ae?" and pointed at her ears muttering a word that means "headphones?" When we travel, she gets to watch a video Ipod with headphones that has Toopy and Binoo programmed in it. :) "No honey, we don't need headphones this time". And so it went for almost 2 hours, while we traveled on the LRT to the fair grounds, and then waited in the audience for the show to begin...

Just as Hannah began to grow restless, and tired of asking if "Toopit-ae" was ever going to arrive, they came out on stage...and she was off running toward them. In that moment, between watching her run to her buddies and trying to snap pictures...I found myself holding back tears. For the very first time in her young life, I was able to give her something special, something that if she could speak, she would have asked for. Something that she, a little person (no longer a baby), has decided that she likes. As a child, you grow up hearing your parents say that they would give you the world if they could. Now as a parent, I am beginning to understand what my parents and so many others meant by that. One experience, one memory at a time, I am giving Hannah the world. Today...it was Toopy and Binoo.



Dancing with another little girl.

I wasn't sure how she would react to seeing Toopy and Binoo live. I figured she would either be thrilled and unable to contain her excitement, or be terrified and want the heck out of there. I didn't expect her to be mesmerized and intently watching their every move. She took in everything. She stared them down as if trying to figure out the scope of the reality that was/is Toopy and Binoo. How can they be on TV, mommy's computer and here on stage? Her fascination was amazing.
And they performed just as they do on TV. Buddies. Toopy the mouse in a striped shirt whose imagination takes him to far off places and Binoo the white cat who doesn't say a word, just acts things out in a simple form of charades, and yet is such a curious fellow.
And she applauded every opportunity she got. She loved them.
The show ended with Toopy's love song to Binoo.. "Binoo...oh my Binoo...we sure love to play hand in hand...Binoo...my dear Binoo...what a friend oh what a friend". You can hear him sing here.
As they bowed to leave the stage, Hannah ran from our seats toward the stage...to catch one more glimpse before they disappeared. I can only imagine what was going through her mind.
After spending an amazing 30 mintues with Toopy and Binoo, we moved on to other exciting things...like the Butterfly house. There were hundreds of butterflies flitting around. One landed on Hannah's knee and she was so intrigued by it. Ironically, I had dressed Hannah in a onesie that says "Butterfly Garden" on the front. Too bad I didn't get a shot of it.
I let her out of her stroller and stood back as I watched her discover.
One landed on my finger...and I couldn't resist this shot...
She wasn't too keen about having them fly around her. It probably freaked her out a little, but I had to laugh at how she would shrug her shoulders and hunker down when one would "buzz the tower". So funny.
Another butterfly shot.
Look Mom...a butterfly.
Look Mom, I'm flying like a butterfly.
We walked around a bit after playing with the butterflies. I had wanted to take her on a pony ride in San Diego, but she was just too tired by the end of the day. When she saw the ponies here, she about flipped her lid. She wanted out of her stroller *NOW*. She was thrilled to be on top of the pony. Unfortunately (or fortunately - just depends on how you look at it) I had to walk with her so that she wouldn't fall off, but it meant that I only was able to get this one picture of her on the pony...she was still trying to figure it out. Once "Beauty" started walking, she laughed, squealed, patted the pony and wouldn't stop smiling. When it was time to get off, she pitched such a fit. She didn't want to leave the pony. In a few summers, darling, I will register you for horse riding lessons.

And as if Toopy & Binoo, Butterflies and Ponies weren't enough excitement...as we were leaving we threw some snakes into the mix.
No fear. She has no fear. For months now she has been making animal noises. "Hannah, what does a snake say?" She replies with "SSSSsssSSSSssss". She saw the snakes and started hissing from her stroller. Again, she wanted out *NOW*, and the minute she got down, she went straight to the biggest Boa Constrictor (225lbs according to it's handler), reached down and petted it as if it were a fluffy bunny. A girl after my own heart. This snake could clearly munch Hannah for a snack.
She was so fascinated by the snake that the handler asked her if she wanted to hold the snake. She nodded her head, muttered "Uh-huh" and walked around the snake at light speed toward its' head. She even kissed it before she left it (but I had put my camera down for a millisecond and missed the shot)
I love this picture...the snake was interested in Hannah and Hannah was interested in the snake.
I think we have a future zoologist on our hands. Atta girl! We had a great time at Capital Ex...but there was just one thing missing...Daddy. He had to work and couldn't get the time off. I sure wish he was able to come. Hopefully the pictures and video I captured will be enough to show him how Hannah's day went.
On our way home, I lost my cell phone on the LRT. Bummer. Major bummer. But Michael phoned me at work tonight to tell me that someone had phoned to let us know that he has my phone. Woo Hoo! Horray for good people! What a great way to end a nearly perfect day.

No comments: