Friday, March 13, 2009

Tragedy Averted

Hannah and I came downstairs this morning to find Goldie on the floor, and her tank completely tipped over. Water was everywhere. Goldie was still. Jasper had struck again. I told Hannah to go upstairs and tell Daddy what Jasper had done. She went. Good. I didn't want her to see Goldie outside of her tank. I ran for towels and a cup of water...I still had hope.

Dear God, let Goldie be okay. As I reached down to touch her, she did a fishy flip! Horray! She was still alive. I picked her up and put her in the cup of water and watched carefully for a moment. Swimming. Gills moving. I think we are okay.

On to the clean up. It was my mistake to put Goldie under the TV where Michael has a whack of technology - expensive technology at that. I just wanted Hannah to be able to see and feed Goldie without having to climb up on a stool to do so. Water was everywhere, on the computer, on the blue ray on the other stuff...Ugh. I was going to get in trouble for this I knew it.

The thing that gets me is that I woke up at midnight last night in a panic. I grabbed my only belt and ran downstairs to wrap it around Goldie's tank and secure it to the metal decorative grate, specifically so that Jasper couldn't knock it over. It wasn't super tight, but there was no way it could have tipped - or so I thought.

Goldie is currently tucked safely away in Hannah's bathroom for the time being. Hannah and I are going to run out to Walmart to pick up some water conditioner for her tank - thanks to Jasper, she no longer has distilled water...it's water from the tap which is laced with chlorine and other chemicals that aren't good for little fish.

*sigh* Aside from taping her tank to whatever surface I put it on, I think the only alternatives I have are to either give Jasper to a fish-less home, or to send Goldie back to Grandma & Grandpa's house - a house without a cat.

Meow.

No comments: