Monday, September 29, 2008

FLUTD...What?

What is FLUTD? It is Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disorder...and Jasper has it. I had noticed that he was acting strangely over the past few days, vomiting, being less active, more irritable, and who can blame him? Hannah was drawn to him yesterday, she catered to him, bringing him toys cups of water (aka "tea") and she hovered. Oh oy did she hover. She would whisper to him, pat him gently and kiss him. Before I realized how sick he was, I just sat and watched her "mommy" him. So sweet to see. But then he stood up, wobbled a bit, and then I noticed urine dripping from behind him, and I realized he was in bad shape. So Hannah and I took him to see the "Kitty Doctor" last night and we found out that his urethra was almost completely blocked, that he has a nasty bladder infection and that he was dehydrated. He spent last night in the emergency animal clinic, hooked up to IV fluids, a catheter and a mandatory cone around his head. He will likely spend tonight there as well, coming home sometime tomorrow.

This cute and cuddly kitten, has averaged $1000 in vet bills every 1.5 years. The first time, we thought he broke his tail. Several x-rays, a hospital stay and pain meds later, he was fine.

(Note the kink in his tail...he was sooo sore! Poor guy)

The second time, he got high on pine needles at Christmas time. His pupils were dialated to the max and he was wobbling everywhere. After an exam and some blood work he was fine. (I don't have a picture of Jasper high on pine needles, so I will just put another favorite picture in here...for your viewing pleasure).


This time...well...you know the story. Now he is on a special diet, and will be for the rest of his life (sheesh, he is only 4 years old) and he will hopefully be fine. Although there is a 20% chance of this reoccuring in male cats. Nice. I don't think I can afford another $1500 vet visit.
* * * *
Edited to add the following note: Jasper is home. The clinic phoned at midnight to say that he was ready to come home. They close at 8am tomorrow morning, so I had to either pick him up tonight, or have him transfered to our vet (which would have cost more money). It was an easy decision, especially considering I was still awake editing pictures. Jasper is a little squirrely right now, as he is coming off of sedation (he attacks everyone when he is in a clinic, including me), and will be spending the night in the laundry room until I have the chance to bathe him tomorrow. Poor guy looks like he has had a horrible 24 hours. No Doubt.

No comments: