Monday, April 26, 2010

Pack...Words...Bed

So this is going to be a hodge-podge kind of post, as I am sure that you can tell from the title. Hailey has been quite the marsupial lately. If I had a pouch, she would happily hang out in there while I go through the ins and outs of my day. In thinking about that the other day, while drooling over numerous different carriers I was eyeing (read: window shopping) online, I remembered that I had a Snugli carrier in the front closet. I rarely used it with Hannah as I found it uncomfortable and not safe. Reluctantly, I went to the closet and dug it out. I also went online to the Snugli web page and downloaded the manual. I was most pleasantly surprised to learn that this carrier could be worn on the back, while carrying a child up to 35 pounds. Immediately, I stuffed Hailey in there, and went about my day. She was happy as a clam back there. (first picture courtesy of Hannah!) Second picture is a self portrait.
Hailey seemed so happy in the carrier, that I didn't even flinch when a few hours later, Hannah asked if we could go for a scooter ride. Nana & Papa gave Hannah a Radio Flyer scooter (two wheels in front, one in back) for Easter. She loves to "Scoot" around the house, and has been pestering me to go outside for a scoot. Until recently, there was still snow lingering on the sidewalks, so I had to say no. But now that the weather is so nice, I agreed. I went out to the shed in the back and found my Razor Scooter (from so many years ago), changed my shirt, got Hannah and Hailey bundled up for some brisk fresh air, and away we went. This picture is Hailey and I just before going out for our scoot.
Sorry that there are no pictures of us "scooting". It was hard enough to keep Hannah focused on scooting less than 4 blocks to go feed some geese at our local pond. The same little girl that can ride her bike almost 3 miles to the grocery store and back, petered out and insisted on walking instead of scooting in less than 4 residential blocks. Hailey, however, was thrilled as could be to be behind me, breathing in the fresh air, and gnawing on the clasps of the carrier. By the time we got home, my back was soaked with her saliva, and she had made herself cry a few times, I can only imagine by hurting herself on the clasps.

So...creative Mommy to the rescue. I had seen some "chewing straps" for carriers online and had ordered some, but won't get them until later in May. I decided that wasn't soon enough, so I pulled out the sewing machine, and some old cotton towels, and went to work. The first attempt at my chewing straps were a bust. The second attempt went much better, but still wasn't perfect. But they would do. Here's a picture of happy Hailey and her cotton chewing strap on the carrier.
Since I made those straps, she hasn't complained once about being stuffed into that carrier for long treks, and my back has remained (for the most part) saliva free. :) It's a win-win.

The second part of this hodge-podge post is related to words. Specifically, words that Hannah can spell. Hannah has been showing more and more interest in learning how to read words, and Michael and I have been working with her several times a day on sounding out letters and reading some simple books. Hannah can spell her name very easily, and will happily recite it for anyone who asks. Well, this afternoon, Michael and I were working away on our computers, while Hannah played games on her computer (yes, she has her own computer) in between our desks. When, all of a sudden, Hannah cries out, "Mommy! Daddy! Look what I did!" We both turn around and look at her computer screen to find this:
Awe....my little girl is spelling words now!

Finally, the last part of this post is about bed time. Hannah has requested several times for Hailey to be put to sleep in Hannah's big girl bed. She wants to cuddle her little sister. So sweet! While we haven't let her spend the whole night, we have started to let them have some cuddle time before bed. Cuddle time turns into giggle time, which turns into hyper time. But it is so hard to say no, when they are so unbelievably cute!! (Ignore Hannah's bizarre smile. That's new...and I hope it doesn't stick around too long!)
Hailey always starts out on her own pillow, but in the matter of a few minutes, she always manages to wiggle herself right over to Hannah, for some cuddles. Hannah doesn't protest, unless Hailey grabs a hand full of Hannah's beautiful brown hair. Otherwise, they will play peek-a-boo under the covers (hilarious...let me tell you), read books, or sometimes they will even lay still, holding hands and staring into each others eyes with a silly smitten grin on their faces (still need to get a picture of that one!). But to see how much these girls adore each other, simply warms my heart. I know it won't always be this way. I, like any mother, hope that it does, but I know there will be fights.
But for now, I will just sit back, and smile at my two beautiful girls...as they giggle themselves silly in the ladybug room.

No comments: