Monday, July 13, 2009

Washington, DC - Day 1

We were tourists around Washington, DC today. It was awesome to finally see these amazing buildings in person. I would have never imagined that the United States would have building as elaborate as these, but I stand mistaken. Wow....that is all I have to say.

The National Archives building. Under the two American flags at the center of the image, are two security guards. They are guarding the original draft of the US Constitution. Pretty cool.
There were no flashes allowed in here. Not even the little blinkey focus flash that most little point & shoot cameras have. My camera uses infrared focusing lights, but a security guard wasn't convinced until I showed her. I boosted my ISO all the way up to 6400, F3.5 and 1/50 sec exposure. No tripod...it didn't turn out too bad.
Grumpy Hannah at the capitol.
Grumpy Hannah, Pregnant Mommy and Hot Daddy at the capitol. Michael was in hog-heaven with all the historical monuments/buildings/artifacts etc here.
The captiol, sans Getz family.
This is a picture looking up at the atrium of the capitol building. I was actually laying on my back on the floor taking a picture up at the top. Wide angle lens did a good job, but doesn't do it justice. This atrium was stunning, absolutely stunning.
The artist that painted this portion of the dome (with soldiers/horses & trees) managed to paint it almost to completion. But where you see the tree in this image, he fell off of his scaffolding and hung upside down for two days before calling it quits. If you zoom in on the tree, you can see a picture of a face. This is where the next artist came in and completed the work, but not without paying tribute to the original artist. Love this kind of history. It's awesome.
Hannah (sleeping), Michael and I standing next to Ronald Regan.
Uncle Charlie, Dad & Mom standing next to Ronald Regan.
The view from outside.
This tour was pretty amazing. We had a representative from Brian Bilbray's office give us a personal tour so that we weren't lumped into a group of 50 or so people. Totally worth it to contact your congressman if you plan on taking a trip to the DC area. :)

No comments: