Sunday, January 11, 2009

California Christmas Rewind...Birch Aquarium

On December 28th, Dad, Michael, Hannah and I packed up and spent the morning at the Birch Aquarium in La Jolla. I don't remember if I have ever been to this aquarium - strange, I know - but I have been to so many aquariums that they all kind of blend together in my mind. So, I count this as my first trip with Hannah and Michael...and it was sooo cool!

A Grey Whale at the entrance of the aquarium.
I was once a part of "The Porcupines" - a daycare group that was run by my dear friend's mother. I grew up in that daycare, as did my brother. Many years ago (I don't remember exactly - but I was in high school) my friend's younger brother died suddenly. I didn't know at the time, but "The Porcupines" went in together and sponsored a memorial square for him. It was special to find this and take a picture of it. :)
And now for the fishies! I thought his lips were cute. Pucker up!
Playing Peek-A-Boo. He must not have liked my camera. It's okay, some people (ahem...fish) just don't like to be in front of the camera. I understand completely.
Daddy & Hannah looking at the anemones.
Papa looking at the jellyfish.
This was soooo cool! A huge water tank with lots of fish. Hannah walked right up to the glass and said "woah".
Hi fishie! She loved the bright orange fish.
My favorite FAVORITE picture of Hannah from this trip. I LOVE how she is laying down and looking up, and how the light just falls on her. :)
You can barely see her little face, but she was just fascinated with this tank. :)
Looking with Papa.
Touching the starfish with Mommy. Actually, she wouldn't touch them, but she sure would tell me to touch them.
Good shot Papa! I gave him my camera so that I could play in the water.
She found a fake lobster and chased us around saying "tickle tickle!" If only lobsters really did "tickle tickle". Someday she will understand that they "pinch pinch" instead. She really didn't want to have her picture taken in the shark. That would explain the Mommy-death-grip I have on her. :)
Back inside now. I saw the little sting ray exhibit and was fascinated with them. Hannah was more freaked out by them, because they would swim right up to where she had her face pressed against the glass. Yet, she couldn't get enough of these guys. They were very cool!
After this picture, Hannah turned into grumpy-2-year-old-Hannah, and we promptly made an "exit stage left". Although Mommy had to stop by the gift store. We sure had fun at the aquarium though, and will definitely be making a return visit the next time we are in San Diego.

2 comments:

Marsha said...

Cool pics, as always! It has been years since I have been to Birch Aquarium. It would be neat to see it from a 2-year-old perspective, though. You definately need to plan a trip to Okinawa! She would love to see those whale sharks!

Shannon said...

Thankies for posting a pic of Sandy's brick. I've never seen it it in person and the fact you'd go search it out means a lot to me. Especially since yesterday was his birthday and I was feeling super low.

Your pictures are phenominal and whole I've never been to Okinawa, I do have to say that Japan has some AMAZING aquariums and if you ever got a chance to go... Snatch it up!