Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Churro Master

I was unknowingly issued a challenge this week, one that would test my "Mexican" culinary skills.

We have been invited to a Mexican dinner party this week - being held by one of Michael's co-workers. Without talking to me about it, he volunteered to bring dessert....Churros. But not just any churros...HOME MADE churros. Why? Because "My wife knows how to make them. She is Mexican after all."

Little did he know that just because I am 1/4 Mexican, and just because I grew up in San Diego (a stone's throw from Mexico) doesn't mean that I know how to cook everything Mexican - particularly Churros. But, I wasn't about to let this challenge ruin my Mexican reputation, tarnish my beautiful Mexican heritage, or make my husband look bad in front of his co-workers. Game on Brotha!

So I did what anyone looking for a good recipe would do, I surfed the Internet and found this page. The title was "A Churro Recipe To Die For". Perfect. I gathered up my ingredients, phoned my mother-in-law and asked if I could borrow their cast iron pot (my cast iron skillet was too shallow), plunked Hannah in front of a movie and started to cook.

The recipe was easy to follow, and the churros cooked up perfectly. Please feel free to view my culinary handi-work below. The only thing I would change, is to go buy a larger star-shaped-tip for my pastry bag. These are skinny, but super yummy churros.

I AM THE CHURRO MASTER!
My ancestors would be so proud.

Mommy makes yummy churros.
Num Num Num...

3 comments:

Amanda Kerr said...

Carlin, they look so yummy! Looking forward to the samples tomorrow!!

Emilie said...

you just made me very hungry. :-)

essie said...

sounds and looks delicious!