On July 2, 1978, I met him for the first time. And while I don't remember this meeting, I do have many wonderful memories starting as early back as 4 years of age. My father is a funny guy. He teased me relentelessly, threw me into swimming pools, bought me my first tool kit and showed me how to use them, taught me how to ride a bike, and invited me to tag along on business trips. Of all of these memories, and more, none are as poignant as the ones that were created in the last 6 years.
I am now a wife, and a mother, and with those two new roles, comes a whole new perspective on life. I don't think I loved my father more than the day before he walked me down the aisle, when I cried in his arms about leaving home, and all the holes I had left in my bedroom wall (from hanging pictures) - for which he continues to tease me to this day. My favorite picture from my wedding is this one, where he is standing behind me. It in so many ways shows me how much he loves me and continues to watch over me even though I am thousands of miles away. A Daddy's love is greater than any distance.

Then came the next milestone...Mommy-hood. Dad was there with me, celebrating, teasing, doing housework for me (thanks Dad), and helping me try to enjoy the last uncomfortable weeks of being pregnant. He knew how quickly I would miss it. (Note: I love this picture. He hates it. Sorry Dad...I couldn't resist. My blog, my rules).

And then she came. Dad went from Daddy and Dad to Papa...and he wears this new title with pride. Because he works from home, he was able to stay in our home for nearly 3 months after Hannah was born. That is a time that I will treasure forever. He was incredible with her, and still is. It was almost as if he was born to be a Papa.
He is ever silly with Hannah as he was with me. Good. I want her to have incredible memories like I do.

Hannah loves her Papa, although sometimes she prefers Nana. But if he asked her to go do something with him, she wouldn't hesitate for a moment.
She loves to ride on his shoulders - no place is better than a Papa's shoulders.
She loves to take pictures of him with Mommy's camera. Say Cheese! (I held the camera because it is such a monster, but she really did take this picture).
And last Halloween, despite his sore knees, he got down on the floor and carved pumpkins with Hannah. Another memory for my daughter.Where was Papa? At the bottom of the hill, playing the goalie...keeping my daughter safe while she squealed with excitement. 
Happy Birthday to my Daddy, My Dad & Hannah's Papa. We all love you and miss you. Wish we could be there to celebrate with you. Know that we look forward to your visit in February, to making more memories, playing in the snow, helping build the basement...but most importantly...we look forward to spending more time with you (and Nana too), enjoying the company that we long for.
*Note: We now return to our regularly scheduled program*




2 comments:
I have always been a very huge fan of Tony V. He's the most adorkable daddy ever and if I seriously counted how many times I was a bit jealous of your relationship with him, I believe the number would be STAGGERING!!!
Happy Birthday Tony!!!
Beautiful, Carlin. I have huge tears rolling down my cheeks. What a beautiful tribute to your Dad.
Happy Birthday to Hannah's Papa!
Post a Comment