My aunt and uncle told us to park in staff parking behind the observatory. While we were waiting for them to arrive, another observatory staff came up and asked us why we were parked in a staff only area. Michael thought we were going to get into trouble. I didn't think so, and casually pulled out the email that Uncle Mike had sent me. I told the fellow who we were waiting for, and he replied, "well, if you were going to drop some names, you sure did give me the right ones." Moments later, Mike & Susan showed up, and the fun really got underway.
This was the first shot I took of the observatory. It's actually a whoops shot. I took it at ISO 100, F-6.3 Shutter speed 1/8000, which was obviously all wrong...but it came out looking pretty awesome. Looks like night time with stars above right? Well, the bright spot is the sun, and the "stars" are actually the sunlight reflecting off of leaves in an overhead tree branch. This is one of those so wrong, but so right pictures. I love it when that happens. :)
Hannah looking up at the telescope.
Another picture of Hannah looking up. I wish I had brought my REALLY wide angle lens with me. My 17-40mm didn't cut it.
This is "THE" control chair. The actual chair where someone controls the telescope. I can't believe Mike & Susan let Hannah sit in this chair, especially given her propensity for pushing buttons. :)
Hehe, Hannah saw all of the hard hats on the wall, and insisted on wearing the blue one.
And playing peek-a-boo.
And having Daddy wear a hat too.
Cheese!
Mike & Susan took us on the catwalk on the OUTSIDE of the dome. Hannah wasn't too sure about the grates under her feet. She had been running all morning, but really slowed down when walking on this.The best part of being out on this catwalk is that there was another tour going on inside the dome, and they had obtained permission to turn the dome. The dome rotates 360 to allow the Hale telescope to look in all directions. You can see a video of the dome open and turning here. Please note, that this is a time lapse video. The dome does NOT turn this fast in real time. :)
There are several smaller telescopes in smaller domes in the surrounding area. This one is the 48 inch Samuel Oschin Telescope. I thought it looked neat framed by the trees.
There are several smaller telescopes in smaller domes in the surrounding area. This one is the 48 inch Samuel Oschin Telescope. I thought it looked neat framed by the trees.Thanks guys! We really had a wonderful time spending a few hours with you. I can see why you love to spend so much time up at the observatory. It is such a cool place full of discovery. We hope you will be able to come up and spend some time stargazing in our neck of the woods. Wintertime here is awesome for stargazing, and on occasion, catching a glimpse of the northern lights. Love you and miss you already!






No comments:
Post a Comment