Monday, January 12, 2009

California Christmas Rewind...Daisy Puppy

This Christmas was a special one for my parents, and Hannah. They brought home a new puppy, which my mother has named "Daisy". It is no secret that Daddy doesn't like dogs, and that Hannah and I will never have one in our home. So my parents did the next best thing, and they got us a puppy that they would keep. Now the name "Daisy" needs a little explaining given that she is a scottish terrier, and Daisy really isn't considered a scottish name. All of our dogs, except for one, has had a boy scout/girl scout related name.

The first dog was Allowat.Allowat was a shepherd mix, and he was an awesome dog. (Ya. That's me, showing a little shoulder at about 3 years old.) Allowat got his name from the American Indian name Allowat Sakima which literally translates into "Mighty Chief". When Dad was in scouts, he played the role of Allowat Sakima in a play (or so I am told), and that was how they came up with the name Allowat. :)

Our next dog was Eagle. Sadly, I don't have any digital images of Eagle. He was an Australian Shepherd that we adopted in 1997. He was named Eagle by his breeders because he had a white patch of fur on the back of his neck in the shape of a soaring eagle. It seemed appropriate that we kept that name since Eagle scouts run in my family...My Grandfather, Uncle Bob, Uncle Mike, Dad, Cousin Dan, Charlie (I hope I didn't miss anyone.) He was a good dog who, sadly didn't live with us for long. He was diagnosed with distemper when he was about 2-3 years old and we had to put him to sleep. :(

Trinity was our third dog...the lucky thing.
She was the only dog without a scouting name. Mom found her while at work in South East San Diego one day. She was a pup then, and she was covered in fleas & ticks. She was the sweetest little dog, and sat there patiently while Mom and I twisted ticks out of her skin (ew). She wasn't much of a water dog, but she tolerated being tossed in the pool for a swim on a hot day. Trinity lived with my parents until last year, when she just wasn't able to move herself around anymore.
I laughed when Mom and Dad told me they were getting a puppy, because they told me they wouldn't get another dog for a long time, if at all. But Auntie Jo (our family Scottie fanatic) had decided it was time to get another puppy, and asked Mom if she wanted one. They went in on it. Sisters, with sister dogs. Auntie Jo's puppy is named Eureka, after the vacuum. Her older dog is named Kirby...again, after the vacuum. :)

So enter Daisy. A squeaky, spunky, ball of energy and cuteness. She is named after the youngest branch of girl scouts, Daisies.
She loves to cuddle up on your shoulder.
And under your hair.
I love the yawn picture. I can't believe I caught it. She almost looks like she is laughing.
Welcome to the family, little Christmas girl scout puppy.
Hannah and I look forward to every visit with you, our new long distance doggie.

1 comment:

Marsha said...

Auntie Jo told me about the puppies. Oh my goodness, Daisy is a cutie!!